Like most of us, your summer plans probably look a little different this year. You may be wondering just what you can or should do in the upcoming months. Luckily, you and your family members can still make the most of the summer as there are plenty of things to do within the confines of your home, and surrounding area.
With summer quickly approaching, we are looking at being home much more than we are accustomed to. But, this lifestyle adjustment doesn’t mean we can’t make the most of our summer. The stage has been set for some good times of rest and relaxation. Look no further for inspiration to enjoy these warm summer months while keeping healthy and safe.
It’s important we keep our own safety and the safety of others in mind through the summer, and there are different options for you to choose from including face masks. For the little ones who don’t want to wear a mask, a bandana is a great alternative. With many types of bandanas available, such as solid, paisley, and prints, you can find your favorite color to keep your face protected through the summer. An alternative choice is to use handkerchiefs for a face covering. Check out how to fold any bandana or handkerchief into a mask here.
Fun in the Sun
- Enjoy the weather: Although it’s important to keep safety on our minds, we don’t want to allow the beauties of summer to slip through our fingertips without finding ample time to enjoy the outdoors. Relax! No pressure to plan an expensive getaway on a crowded, far away, tropical island; instead it’s your time to find a spot in your backyard or secluded park, nestle in, and enjoy your free time.
- Plan a Picnic: Bring along a tote bag or backpack to carry snacks, books, and a blanket, and you’re on your way to a perfect summer picnic. Put on your casual summer hat, sit back in your favorite lounge chair, and enjoy the glistening sun rays. Don’t forget to choose from our wide assortment of glasses cases to keep your favorite pair of sunglasses safe and at your side.
- Water works: there's no better way to beat the heat than with a family water balloon fight, chasing each other around with squirt guns, or even a slip and slide. Turn your yard into into a water park, without all the long lines, crowds, or germs!
The Great Indoors
- "Bored" Games: Bored in the house? Sift through your closet to find that unopened jigsaw puzzle you have been storing for a rainy day. There is no need to wait for rain, as there is no better time than now to assemble a puzzle in the comfort of your own yard or home. So open up the games cabinet and find either an old favorite, or never-played board game that can make for hours of entertainment and staying connected at home.
- Cook up some fun: We could all use a little comfort food right now, and with all the extra time on your hands, why make something special? Getting the kids involved in the kitchen is a great way to teach them about math, science, and cleaning up. For toddlers, baking something simple, or just helping add ingredients can be a great tactile experience.
- Movie night: Turn your family room into a movie theater by dimming the lights, throwing some popcorn in the microwave, and making a blanket fort on the floor. And you never have to get out of your pajamas. The comforts of home beat a movie theater any day.
Just for Kids
Here's a few more ways to keep your little ones entertained:
- Put kid’s bandanas to good use as both a face covering and pretend play as cowboys. There are hat options for boys and girls to complement the look.
- Play dress up and complete a classy or fun look with his or her favorite new style of hat, from straw hats to a sleek fedora hat.
- Kids can pick out their very own wallet for pretend errands and purchasing. Along with play food or a toy cash register, these colorful accessories would make the perfect addition to playtime.
- A child size fanny waist pack can serve as both a practical and entertaining item for your kids. Waist packs can provide fun for pretend play to store a couple of their favorite toys, , or provide their own storage to bring a few belongings such as a water bottle for a trip to a local park for family time.
- For those rainy days, kids can stay dry, but still have fun with rain boots, a rain jacket, and even their very own umbrella.
- While Mom or Dad may be cooking new food dishes, kids love playing with kitchen utensils, and pretend food.
No matter what this summer brings you, there's always plenty of ways to enjoy your time alone, or with the whole family.